I’m “old school” so I still do crunches. I’ve been told that it’s time to upgrade to the plank. The plank strengthens the core while one hovers, maintaining a position as if simulating a push-up, for a specific length of time. It strengthens the abs, back, and shoulders. It also tones your glutes because it engages the muscles in the buttocks and hamstrings.
Today, I will begin a 30-day Plank Challenge. Each day builds upon the previous day’s plank hold time, progressively moving from holding it for 10 seconds in the beginning to 90 seconds at the end of the challenge. (NOTE: There are more advanced challenges available online.)
Here are instructions on how to do a plank taken from
- Get into push up position.
- Bend your elbows and rest your weight on your forearms. (NOTE: You are not resting on your hands.)
- You should be in a straight line from your shoulders to your ankles.
- Engage your core – suck your belly button into your spine. (This part is important!)
- Hold this position for the time listed on the daily challenge.
Won’t you join me? Here’s the challenge:
Grace and peace!